Another fire broke out last night in the Nelson region, and while it was quickly dealt with, Fire and Emergency says it shows there's still a lot of work to do to contain the fire.
The fire is now covering 2400 hectares, with a 33km perimetre, Fire and Emergency NZ fire controller Trevor Mitchell told media this morning.
He said a fire breakout last night was dealt with quickly but there is still a lot of work to do and the fire is still not contained.
"This is the fire telling us it's still the boss."
He said a firefighter that was hospitalised yesterday due to dehydration is recovering well.
Risk assessment and a plan for conditional re-entry of 200 properties is a top priority, civil defence controller Roger Ball said.
Good morning everyone! There were some flare-ups overnight which firefighters on the ground managed effectively. We’re continuing to monitor the situation and will keep you updated on any developments during the day #NelsonFire via @NelsonTasmanCD— New Zealand Police (@nzpolice) February 12, 2019
Police said they, along with the defence force and volunteers, visited three quarters of the households in Wakefield last night to hand out fact sheets and would return later this evening.
Wakefield has been declared safe with residents beginning to return home.
The number of animals at the Richmond A&P Showgrounds is now 300, down from the 700 housed there previously.
The animals have been cared for by a variety of organisations under tight security at the showgrounds, in stables, sheds, yards and inside make-shift fences.
MPI said they were not aware of any new animal welfare concerns.
A community meeting will be held at 7pm tonight at Hope Community Church.
Meanwhile, Wakefield business owners are counting the costs after the fire forced them to evacuate and shut up shop.