Canterbury police no longer carry guns after arresting wanted man

Christchurch police at the scene of a shooting last month. - Photo: Katie Todd / RNZ

Police have lifted the order for front-line officers in Canterbury to be armed, after the arrest of a 20-year-old man.

The arrested man has been charged with using an imitation firearm against police.

Christchurch officers were allowed to carry firearms after officers were shot at three times in a recent week.

Canterbury commander John Price said that was in response to a specific situation.

Police had been appealing for information on the whereabouts of a 20-year-old man in relation to a firearms incident on Anzac Drive in Christchurch last weekend.

The man was found in Papanui at 2.15pm and was taken into custody without incident.

He is due to appear in Christchurch District Court tomorrow.

Police Association president Chris Cahill said there was clearly a risk to officers or they would not have been ordered to carry weapons.

"Clearly, there were real shots fired at those officers last Saturday and by one of the offenders again on Tuesday," Mr Cahill said.

"We just need to wait until all the facts come out in the court case and we will be understanding why police put the risk assessment in place that they did."

Comments