Police at the cordon around a shooting incident in central Christchurch. - Photo: RNZ / Simon Rogers
Armed police have been deployed after shots were fired at a mosque where hundreds of people were praying near Hagley Park in Christchurch.
What you need to know:
• An eyewitness inside the mosque says he heard shots fired and says at four people were lying on the ground and "there was blood everywhere".
• An eyewitness says a man wearing a helmet and glasses and a military style jacket opened fire inside the mosque with an automatic weapon.
• About 300 people were inside the mosque for afternoon prayers.
• The manager of the An-Nur Early Childhood centre in Wigram said police gave some parents an update that said there were two gunmen and at least one was on the loose.
• People in central Christchurch have been urged to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111.
• Another eyewitness said people are being evacuated from near a second mosque in Christchurch and police are swarming the area.
• All Christchurch schools, Christchurch Hospital and Christchurch City Council buildings have been placed into lockdown.
Follow live updates of the ongoing incident here:
- more to come